Hello from Sydney, Australia - wondering where to start on BMW R25/3 basket case

Begonnen von Airhead_oz, 19 April 2018, 09:35:20

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Airhead_oz

Hi there,
I've just acquired a 1954 BMW R25/3 in boxes. Supposedly "80% complete", but no history, and not sure if it was sold new in Australia (it does have MPH speedo), or subsequently imported.
There doesn't seem to be many of these machines in Australia, so was a little concerned about parts availability.
Will be slowly working through the parts catalogue working out what bits I'm missing.
I'm no stranger to BMW bikes in general, having owned about 10 of them to date (mostly boxers, currently riding a 2017 R1200GS).
I also have a 1978 Triumph T140V Bonneville, which so far has been easier to get parts for than any other bike I've owned!
I'll be asking all the dumb questions in due course...
Thanks,
Paul
Sydney, NSW

Airhead_oz

bwprice100

Hi Paul

Nice to see you here and I wish you luck with your rebuild.

Brian

Sent by me using tapety talky

Taz

Hello Paul.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bike...good news is that literally every part is still available from a number of dealers in Germany, many new, others at least in good used shape or refurbished (though p&p might be a wee bit expensive)...and if a specific part isn`t on sale there you ´always can ask around here,,,

When it comes to the history of your bike you might to send an email with the frame number (FIN in German) to BMW at info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com and ask them about it...usually they are able to tell you when the bike has been manufactured and which dealer received it...

kind regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

OldsCool!

Hi Paul,

a warm welcome to this forum! You'll get any information you need about the BMW singles here and a lot more you don't  ;D
Really great that these bikes are appreciated around the world.

Wish you tons of fun with your bike. You'll never forget the moment the engine does it's first ignition again after weeks of hard work. Enjoy!

best regards to down-under,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

cledrera

Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

Kaltstart

Hello Airhead_oz,

welcome to the club of BMW enthusiastics.
Many questions can be answered on this platform
as well many silly talk appears on it.

But don´t worry, be happy!
Alte Liebe rostet nicht.