R26 Restoration by new member from Australia

Begonnen von grahamjb, 01 Oktober 2017, 06:42:07

« vorheriges - nächstes »

bwprice100

Zitat von: grahamjb am 03 November 2017, 08:15:58
Haven't been doing much on the bike lately due to being away on holidays

However I have made a front shock absorber compressor by copying Brian's (from England) design - mine is not as fancy as Brians but does the job.
:)

Sent by me using tapety talky

bwprice100

grahamjb

Have removed the rear swing arm and surprised to find that a sleeve is fitted to take the swingarm bearing cups and the cups are not fully pressed home. (they are approximately 3mm from being pressed all of the way in.

Is the sleeve and bearing cup position on these bikes standard?

Borgward

As far as I remember - Yes.
Gives you the chance to grab it with an (inside)extractor

OldsCool!

Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

bwprice100

cledrera

Graham,
by the way. Do you know this downloads:

:schrauber:-Manual

Clemens
Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

grahamjb

Thanks for the replies fellas - pity the exploded view of the swing arm shows a roller bearing instead of the taper roller ones that are fitted to mine.

And yes Clemens, I do have that download link.

Time to get the welder out to remove the bearing cup  ;D

grahamjb

A fair bit of wear on the rear swing pivot bolts and bearing sleeves

grahamjb

Noticed some stress cracks on the left hand rear shock support that I will have to weld up

grahamjb

Did some sandblasting today and what a mess the tin work is......the Tank, Mudguards and Side plates had all been repaired with body filler.
I have a lot of work in front of me to repair the poor tin work repairs

grahamjb

More Photos

grahamjb

Last few photos

OldsCool!

Wow.... looks like an "Expert" was at work  :kotz:

How thick must the filler have been  :o

Good to know you'll fix it properly  :schrauber:

Best regards,

Steffen

grahamjb

Definitely a few challenges ahead of me Steffen

grahamjb

Had a go at fixing the battery cover

grahamjb

Removed the original inside part of the cover that had another piece welded over it and then did some hammer and file work to get it looking half decent. A bit of work with the TIG and skim coat of filler and it is looking like it should

grahamjb

Noticed I had one old style shock absorber aluminium cover nut and the other one was a newer profile. Decided to put the old one in the lathe and see if I could reshape it to the newer profile as well as polish it up because it had quite a few gouge marks and was looking rough.

It turned (no pun intended) out quite ok
The old profile is the cap on the left and the new profile is the cap on the right in the bottom photo

grahamjb

It is too hot to work in my shed (another 34 degree day) so it is time to have a few ice cold beers.

Can anyone tell me what make of carby is in the photos - this is what is fitted to my R26 and there are no identification markings on it.

OldsCool!

Hi Graham,

impressive work on the battery cover!!  :applaus:

The carb looks like a "Blitz". It is a typical replacement for the original "Bing"s but has no good reputation.

BR

Steffen

grahamjb

Thanks for the reply Steffen, I will see if I can locate a Bing at a reasonable price if this carby doesn't run very well.

I have another problem which is how do you remove the shock absorber cartridge from the bottom unit - I cannot budge the front or rear ones even after heating  them up. Any tricks or ideas will be graciously tried.

The first photo shows a previous repair where the top of the shock cartridge has been folded over and the second photo shows the shock cartridge in it base as I call it. How do I remove the shock cartridge?

Cheers
GB

grahamjb

Had another go at the two stubborn shock units today. Have left the front one soaking in a penetrating oil and decided to cut the shock cartridge off on the other one because it was beyond a rebuild. I then cut two slots in what was left and used a big cold chisel as a screwdriver to remove it  :) See photos

grahamjb

Finally had success disassembling the front shock absorbers

Had to use a lot more heat than I thought was reasonable and both shock cartridges were held in tight by a rust coloured powdered substance. You can see the powdery substance in the photos below.

grahamjb

Have to do some aluminium polishing to remove the scoring on the covers and one cover has a thin coat of body filler for me to fix!

bwprice100

Hi Graham

When you reassemble the shocks use plenty of coppaslip on the threads.
Keep the old cartridge, clean it up and gri d a groove along the threaded part and it can make a good tap to clean the thread in the alloy casting.

Brian

grahamjb

Thanks for the tip on using the old cartridge as a tap Brian and I will be using Alminox on the threads which is designed to prevent electrolysis between dissimilar metals.

Everything I touch on this bike is stuffed - I cleaned the shock springs and was surprised to find one of the front springs welded in two places. It is horribly out of square resulting in squaring of some sections of the spring coil internally and externally as well. This is the spring where there was a lot of scoring of the inner and outer covers which makes sense due to the condition of the spring. The lower shock body that the cartridge for this spring has also been worn at the base with the silent block wearing out due to the uneven spring forces. The worn out silent block allowed the shock to press against the mounting bolt nut and washers resulting in deep grooving at the bottom that I will have to repair with the Tig

The other front spring is not square on the end nor are the two rear springs which are also worn internally with squaring inside the coils.

Photos below

grahamjb

More photos showing spring wear

bwprice100

It's a journey. :)

OldsCool!

Unbelievable  :-X

Thanks for sharing with nice pictures Graham! Keep it up!

BR

Steffen 

grahamjb

Have been cleaning more parts and have cleaned up the rear shock absorber carriers and given them a coat of paint which dried as I applied it in todays 38 degree heat (I came inside when it got to 43 degrees in my shed). Also put the corroded steering damper on the linisher to clean it up and now I am going to see if it will take some nickle from my little nickle plating setup.

The attached photos are the rear shock absorber carriers with a coat of paint and the steering damper before cleaning it up with the linisher......you will have to wait to see if my nickle plating is successful  ;D

grahamjb

ARGH....photo posting - why do the posted photos get rotated ?  I will try again! :kopfhau:

Nope, photos are still rotated so you will have to rotate your screens